GAME PLAN

Let's get started. I'm a die-hard Rams fan. I had season tickets both at the Coliseum and Anaheim Stadium for many years. And even photographed several games from the sidelines over the final two seasons before they moved. This blog was created after reading a newspaper column by Bill Plaschke in the Los Angeles Times Sports section (read it here) about the lack of identity for former L.A. Rams players. I decided to see how many Rams fans still have an appreciation for what the Rams meant to L.A. If you're a real fan, you've got stories to tell and opinions to share. Even if you're bitter about losing our team to St. Louis, air it out right here.

November 27, 2008

OLD SCHOOL


Happy Thanksgiving! Thoughts are turned to all the reasons to be grateful today. And then to growing up in the L.A. area, playing football in the mud as a kid on Thanksgiving Day and watching the traditional Dallas vs. Detroit game on TV. My dad took me to see the Rams play at the Coliseum when I was nine years old and I was hooked. It would have been impossible to be a fan of any other team, because my dad had been a Rams fan since before they moved to L.A. from Cleveland in 1946. As the photo of Bob Waterfield above shows, there were no face masks in those days. That’s old school!

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

The "Fearsome Foursome" were AWESOME!!!
Best nickname in all of football. The "Purple People eaters" was also a cool name, but they were the enemy.

Da Big Bumout said...

Ah, the good 'ol days.

adjeff8 said...

Mad Dad took me to my first game in 1970. Roman Gabrial and Merlin Olsen were my heros.Later it was Lawrence Mccutchen, then Dickerson. I remained hard core up until the move. My favorite team now is whoever is playing the Rams. That superbowl was supposed to be MY party. I danced the day that bitch died.

Hear me now and believe me later. The Rams will come back to LA. It's only a matter of time (2 to 3 years) We are waiting.

Anonymous said...

I barely remember Gabriel and the white ram's horn on the helmet. But I do remember James Harris (not the first black NFL quarterback, but one of the first) and McCutcheon and Youngblood and, most of all, Dickerson: the fumbling would get to me, but I loved the way he just glided past people....

Glad I found this blog--brings me back to my youth.

Alan said...

I wouldn't go so far as to say I danced when she died...unfortunately, the damage was already done.

I hope you're right about them moving back. I think that's a lot better than stealing someone else's team (sorry Cleveland) or getting an expansion team (which would ruin the NFL's currently very tidy structure). For all the accusations about people in LA being fair-weather fans, people in St. Louis are showing the same trait when their team is weak.

If they did, I hope they'd drop the gold and go back to yellow. What are they trying to be, Colorado State? (Incidentally, I was attending CSU during the '89 season. I would have really enjoyed a Rams-Broncs Super Bowl, but that team from the bay area was just a bit too good.)

Da Big Bumout said...

I'll admit it was a good day when the witch of the west passed...A part of us died when she took our team. Sure was fun going to Anaheim stadium on gameday...

Da Big Bumout said...

When the witch passed, I'll admit I didn't mourn. Maybe Chip will do the right thing and bring back the team or better give up the naming right. Like Cleveland.

Grisanti said...

adjeff8 - My dad took me to my first game in 1969. And I agree. . .those players were heroes in that era. While the idea of the Rams return to L.A. seems far-fetched, it's not impossible. If the Raiders can move back to Oakland, the Rams can come back to Los Angeles. Now that Chip Rosenbloom is in charge, maybe he would want to pursue his father's plan for the L.A. Rams.

Anonymous said...

I lived in Diamond Bar, CA. Ed Roski is building a new stadium near the 57 & 60 freeway. It suppose to be done in 2012. Nothing would make me happier than waking up at 6:00am going to the market, grab all my food & beer and be the first one in line to wait for gate to open. I had a dozen phone calls when she died and nobody was sad.

adjeff8 said...

Hey buddy. adjeff8 here. Nobody believes me, but the Rams are coming. I work in the film Business, and I recently worked with someone from ST Louis. He says that the stadium is looking awfully empty these days. The home games are no longer on local TV. The Bitch is dead and the team is up for sale.

Whoever buys this team will spend upwards of $1,000,000.000.00. Do you really think someone who spends this kind of money will want to stay in the armpit of America. NO. They will want to move back to the REAL home of the Rams.

Two to three years max. The Rams will be home. I would bet on it. It is the reason the NFL has not put a team in LA. The NFL wants the Rams in LA.

Hear me now and believe me later.

Jeff